Dewey Finn: Give up, just quit, because in this life, you can't win. Yeah, you can try, but in the end you're just gonna lose, big time, because the world is run by the Man. The Man, oh, you don't know the Man. He's everywhere. In the White House... down the hall... Ms. Mullins, she's the Man. And the Man ruined the ozone, he's burning down the Amazon, and he kidnapped Shamu and put her in a chlorine tank! And there used to be a way to stick it to the Man. It was called rock 'n roll, but guess what, oh no, the Man ruined that, too, with a little thing called MTV! So don't waste your time trying to make anything cool or pure or awesome 'cause the Man is just gonna call you a fat washed up loser and crush your soul. So do yourselves a favor and just GIVE UP!
---
Dewey Finn: You three…groupies. And your job is simple, just worship the band. You’re gonna be making hats, you’re gonna be making T-shirts, all kinds of merchandise, which leads me to your first assignment, naming the band.
〔……〕
Summer Hathaway: Groupie?
Dewey Finn: What's the matter?
Summer Hathaway: You want me to be a groupie?
Dewey Finn: Well... a groupie's an important job.
Summer Hathaway: I researched groupies on the Internet. They're sluts! They sleep with the band!
Dewey Finn: No, that's not true. They're like cheerleaders.
---
Dewey Finn: You guys have been doing real good in here. If I was gonna give you a grade, I’d give you an A. But that’s the problem. Rock ain’t about doing things perfect. Who can tell me what it’s really about? Frankie?
Frankie: Uh… Scoring chicks?
Dewey Finn: No, see, no!? Eleni?
Eleni: Getting wasted?
Dewey Finn: No. Come on, no! Leonard?
Leonard: Sticking it to the man?
Dewey Finn: Yes, but you can’t just say it, man. You got to feel it in your heart and guts. If you wanna rock, you gotta break the rules. You gotta get mad at the Man!
找好團員後,杜威接下來的重要任務是教導學生們何謂「搖滾精神」。若不是杜威一時興起開放問答,誰會知道私立小學生對於搖滾樂團的看法是如此充滿偏見。學生的回答不外乎釣馬子(scoring chick)或喝爛醉(getting wasted),雖然離杜威的標準答案天差地遠,但也點出時下一般民眾對於搖滾樂團的負面看法。原來,正如電影前面埋下的伏筆,搖滾精神是反抗大人物(Sticking it to the man),衝撞體制威權,打破成規(break the rules),並透過歌曲勇敢的宣洩對於現狀的不滿。
Baby we was making straight As
寶貝,我們一直都拿優等
But we were stuck in a dumb daze
但我們被困在愚蠢的迷宮裡
Don't take much to memorize your lies
要記住這些謊言並不費力
I feel like I've been hypnoticised
我覺得我被催眠了
And then that magic man he come to town
然後那個有魔法的人出現了
He done spun my head around
他扭轉了我的想法
He said recess is in session
他說下課就是上課
Two and two make five
二加二等於五
And now baby, oh, I'm alive, oh yeah, I'm alive.
寶貝,現在我充滿了活力,喔耶!我充滿了活力
And if you wanna be the teacher's pet
如果你想當老師的乖寶寶
Well baby you just better forget it
那麼寶貝你最好忘了吧
Rock got no reason, Rock got no rhyme
搖滾樂沒有理由,搖滾樂不需押韻
You better get me to school on time
你最好趕快把我送進學校
Oh you know I was on the honor roll
你知道我經常登上榮譽榜
Got good grades, and got no soul
我有好成績,卻失去了靈魂
Raise my hand before I can speak my mind
在我可以說出自己的想法前我舉起了手
I've been biting my tongue too many times
太多次我的心聲卡在嘴邊卻說不出來
And then that magic man took you away
然後那個有魔法的人將你帶走
Do what magic man do
照那魔法師的方法做
Not what magic man say
但別聽他的話
Now could I please have the attention of the class
現在請各位同學注意
Today's assignment
今日的作業是
KICK SOME ASS!
痛宰你的敵人!
This is my final exam
這是我的期末考
Now ya'll know who I am
你們將會知道我是誰
I might not be that perfect son
或許我不是個完美的兒子
But ya'll be rockin' when I'm done
但我表演完後你們將會與我一起搖滾